Federations tend towards a looser network and a less disciplined approach to enforcement.
The most common aspirations expressed are:-
- We want to collaborate
- We want to exchange ideas and share best practice
- We want to achieve efficiencies
Disadvantages of a decentralised system:-
- You cannot dictate what members must do
- No powers to issue directions
- No motivation/incentive for members to do as they are told
- A “voluntary” compliance model makes everything optional
Without the power to dictate standards, members make individual self-serving decisions rather than for the greater good of the network.